Recipe taken from here: http://eastcoastliving.ca/recipes/blueberry-grunt/
- 4 cups (1 litre) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 4 tsp (20ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) shortening
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk, or more if necessary.
- Mix the blueberries, sugar and water. Add to a saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter and shortening to the flour mixture. Add milk to flour and mix in until it starts to come together, making a soft biscuit dough. (You may need to add more milk if the mixture is very dry).
- Place the blueberry mixture into a square pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the hot blueberries.
- Cover tightly with tin foil, as the dumplings gently cook. This should take about 15 minutes. Serve hot.